Wednesday 3 December 2008

GANNET ORPHAN

Have just watched the local news on BBC Scotland which devoted several minutes to the fate of a gannet marooned on Bass Rock after its parents flew off to warmer climes. I asked my wife how they knew the bird needed rescuing and was told that if I'd listened properly I'd have known that they'd been watching its every move because it was tagged. I'm surprised whoever looks after the fish hasn't been given prime air time to complain that one of their main tormentors has been saved. I expect that in recent weeks a good number of birds have died within a hundred yards of my garden. How are they being remembered? Why was nothing done to save them? I suppose if a millionaire heiress leaves all her estate to the RSPB specifically for the benefit of Bass Rock gannets that's her privilege but even so why do those BBC morons think it merits so much airtime?